Friday, May 29, 2009

The Unity of Sports


Well yesterday was a day filled with sports. Literally, every activity I participated in yesterday was centered around some type of sport. And yesterday I was reminded of why sports is such an important factor in our culture.

First was at 2:30pm the Champions League Final took place. Barcelona took on the powerhouse Manchester United. I watched this game with Jason Tucker at his house because we both love soccer and he has an awesome TV. Everyone was picking Manchester to win, but I was pulling for Barcelona, and Barcelona took everyone by surprise by winning the Championship 2-0. They scored a goal early in the game and then Manchester never really got into a rhythm.

While I was in the process of watching this game I got a call from my aunt who had 3 tickets to a Cincinnati Reds baseball game that was giving away. So I got those tickets and me, Jason, and Joseph Dickens went to that game after watching the Champions League Final. The Reds game was fun. We had great seats and we won 6-1, and Jay Bruce tore it up with 2 homeruns, and a triple to right field.

Then immediately following the game we went back to Jason's house and joined some other friends and watched the NBA Western Conference Finals in which the LA Lakers are playing against the Denver Nuggets. The Lakers won last night to put them ahead in the series 3-2. This was a great time to hang out with friends, friends who I haven't spent alot of time with lately due to being away at school.

So yesterday I was very much reminded of how much of a socializing tool sports can be.
I am reminded of how sports can bring a group of people together whether they have many common interests or not. It can foster relationships in the most diverse groups of people.
I am reminded of why I have devoted the past 3 years and the next year of my life to studying "sports ministry" and different ways to minister to people through sports.

Because sports unites people. People of different color, race, culture, ethnicity.

What experiences have you had with sports unifying those around you?

No comments: