Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Never Forget


I was reminded yesterday of how important it is to remember those loved ones who have passed away. I went with my dad and sister to put a small American flag next to my grandpa's grave because he had served in them military. It had been at least a year or more since I'd been to his gravesite. As we got out of the car I started trying to remember the person that my grandpa was. It turns out it had been a while since I had actually given that much thought to remembering who he was. All of a sudden I started to remember all the things that he used to do, the interactions that I had with him before he died when I was 12 years old. It was amazing to me that I really had forgotten about those interactions, just because I had not intentionally tried to remember.

If you have a loved one that has passed away either a long time ago, or recently I would charge you to always remember who they were as a person. Remember the interactions that you had with them. Remember the quirky things they used to do that made you laugh or put a smile on your face. Never get caught up in the busyness of life that you forget about those who have come before you.

I remember as a kid whenever I would see my grandpa in church he would give me one of those Werther's original butterscotch candies.
I remember when I would stay at my grandma and grandpa's house he would always fix me a snack that always consisted of grape jelly spread over bread.
I remember playing wiffle ball in his front yard (as seen in picture above)
I remember when he had false teeth and he would take them out just to kinda creep me out and make me laugh.

Do you have a loved one that has passed away?
What do you remember about that person?


Never forget about them

No comments: