Friday, May 8, 2009

Live Episode Update

Recently I think I've been so busy that either I just haven't taken the time to think about things to write about, or there really has been nothing worth writing about. Maybe a bit of both.

But one thing that is worth writing about is me and my roommate's live talk show "The Wheel Seat" that we hosted tonight. The show is somewhat of a cross between a video blog and a talk show. Usually we record episodes about once a week and post them, but then every month or so we host a live episode where we take people's calls, and give away stuff, and just have alot of fun.

Tonight was probably our most anticipated live show that we have ever hosted. The anticipation surrounding it all had to do with the giving away of an iPod. That was our hook to draw people in. We said that if we reached 75 viewers during the show then we would give away the iPod. I was really excited about the show, and I thought that we could really make it to 75 viewers. Unfortunately though we only achieved half of our goal.

It was still alot of fun, and great to interact with our fans and we did give away a Chipotle gift card, and a mug signed by us, the hosts of the show.

There are a couple things that we still need to work on.
1. The phone system - we have been using Talkshoe which is an online service that allows you to host a show so that people have the ability to call in from their phone or computer. The past 2 times we have used this service, and it works great until about 40 minutes into the show, and then it just randomly locks up for no reason, therefore locking up the phone lines. So we have yet to perfect this system.
2. The phone audio - using the system we have we can only talk to people over my cell phone, which works but even when on speaker phone it is difficult to hear the person on the other end. I need to figure out how to pipe the computer audio through Ustream but I still have yet to do that.

Then there are some other minor things we need to work on. Such as, better content for the show.
But despite these glitches, it is still a blast to produce a show like that, and it leaves me with the desire to produce shows like that all the time.

I have more to write about producing shows, and new media, but I will save that for another post.
Just wanted to write a bit about our live episode tonight.

O, and below you can watch the commercial that we made the day before the show to remind people about it. Its pretty funny.

No comments: