Saturday, May 30, 2009

The Internet's Influence on Education Part 2


In the first part of this post series I talked about the large influence that I think the internet is having and is going to have on education. I talked specifically about the area of graphic/web design because that is what a couple of my friends have alot of experience in. My friends have had no formal education and training in this area and yet they have jobs in the "real world" in these areas.

Where did they learn everything?

The internet!

So what does this mean for us?

Well when I say "us" I'm referring to myself as a student who has 1 more year in college and then is going to be released into the "real world." So I guess I could better phrase that question, what does this mean for me? But you could apply the question to yourself.

For me I think it means that I must use the internet as a resource. Notice I said, resource, not the ultimate source. The internet offers a multitude of great things to be learned but sometimes it doesn't cut it. Sometimes a book is a great resource. But either way, I cannot ignore the fact that the internet is one of the biggest sources of information available.

Also, I think it means that I must remember the old adage "all things in moderation." The internet is a great thing, and I'll be the first to tell you that social media and social networking are very great things. But I have learned in the past year that social networking cannot and hopefully never will be a substitute for face2face interaction. I'm a huge advocate of facebook, twitter, blogging, etc. but it will always come down to getting away from your computer and meeting those people in person and sharing your passions and goals with them. (Sorry that was a bit of a social media tangent, but I think it applies here).

So I think for students in college or even high school and lower ages I would say this, learn everything you can from the internet. Figure out what your passions in life are and study whatever that is in college. If you have an opportunity to get a job that could be a career then go for it. Notice I'm not telling you to not go to college and not get a degree but sometimes or maybe alot of times you can learn more from researching the internet than you can from sitting in a classroom using outdated methods and outdated equipment. (I mean that last paragraph in the most positive way possible).

What does this mean for those who are teachers or professors?

Use the internet to your advantage. Use it for all the reasons that I just talked about. It is a great, FREE resource. And in many times there are people out there that know more than you might know about a certain subject or can give a different view on a subject that will help your students understand the subject better. I think this can be applied to every grade, every subject, every age. Our kids need to learn how to use the internet the right way because if we don't teach them they're gonna try to learn on their own and sometimes that may not be the best thing.

So I'm gonna go ahead and say it...

If you are planning on studying some type of graphic design, video editing, web design, photography or any other type of media then I'm gonna assume you already know alot about these things. So if you just wanna get your degree just for the sake of getting a job that you could already have then go to a small school because its gonna be easy for you but you're not gonna learn much. But if you want to learn more and really get good training then you should probably spend the money and go to a top-of-the-line school that uses good equipment, and up-to-date methods. This way you are learning alot and getting a degree.

This post was obviously focused around students, but also I hope that it helped out those who are teachers as well. There may be more posts to come in this series, I haven't quite decided yet, but I think this will do for now.

Also, a reader commented on my last post and said that the content of the post was more biased toward the internet rather than education, and I'll admit that yes I am very biased toward the internet, but I hope this post was a little more balanced.

What do you think?

Should we be teaching our kids how to use the internet?

Do we even need to teach them how to use the internet...?


...or should we just let them figure it out on their own?

No comments: