Monday, March 16, 2009

What's on your mind?


Over the next week or couple of weeks I will be writing some posts concerning the facebook redesign and some thoughts that I have on it. So just a warning, but I know alot of people have things to say about the "new" facebook so if you have feedback give it to me.

So I just want to point out a couple things that I immediately noticed upon the redesign of facebook's home page. And most of these have to do with facebook's blatant move towards a twitter-like concept and interface.

The first is the change of the status update box at the top of the home page. In the previous version it said, "Josh Burns is..." and then there was a box for me to update my status. One of the first things I noticed was the change to this feature. Now, instead of asking me what I am doing, now facebook asks me "What's on your mind?" And then it gives me a box to type, and then a "Share" button to post it to all of my friend's newsfeeds.

This is definitely going for twitter, because twitter started with asking "What are you doing?" And it still does, but it has evolved into a news aggregator as well as sometimes even a chat. So with this change facebook is trying move in this direction as well, they want to move to content posting, rather than just simply status posting.

Another big interface change is in the user profiles. And I just noticed this today, but when you go to write on someone's wall now instead of posting on their wall, you are now "sharing" something on their wall, and whatever you share on someone's wall is automatically shared on all of your friend's "streams" on facebook's homepage. So that is a big change.

Honestly, I could write for hours about facebook's new design, and its obvious steps toward the evolution of social networking, but this is neither the time nor the place. I enjoy discussing it though, so if you have any feedback leave a comment or shoot me an email or @reply me on twitter, and any other way that you can get in touch with me.

So in the conclusion of this post I'd like to mention the new facebook desktop client that was just released by seesmic(the developers of the popular twitter client Twhirl). It is in it's VERY early stages and there is alot of improvement to be made but I am glad that is where facebook is headed. In fact Tweetdeck has now integrated the facebook client into their twitter client, so that is nice. But just wanted to throw that out there, you can download the standalone facebook client here.

Let me know what you think about all of this stuff.

No comments: