Tuesday, March 3, 2009

the mind

The human mind is a very interesting thing, and sometimes a very frustrating thing. Especially the mind of a male. Myself being a male I have personal experience with this. One second I will be doing something and thinking about something, and then the next second my mind is in a completely different place. Many times this is not a good thing. Many times the thoughts that come into my mind are not good, and this is when it becomes frustrating.

It is interesting to see my mind in a conscious battle for purity. It is almost like I can see a little devil and a little angel on each shoulder trying to tell me what to do.

It is in these times when I find myself praying alot. I find myself quoting Scripture back to myself. "Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? By taking heed thereto according to thy Word." Psalm 119:9. That is probably King James Version but that is how I memorized it, and that is what helps me the most.

What helps you the most when your mind wanders astray? Do you pray? Do you quote Scripture?

1 comment:

Joseph said...

I know exactly what you're saying here man. I mean I agree with you word for word. Something I do sometimes is just say a quick prayer... something like "God, take these thoughts out of my mind..." and then for the next few minutes I just try to focus on something that's not impure or destructive and usually my "regular" not-corrupt thinking will come back for a while. Then I do it all over agian. lol. I wonder what it takes to have a truly pure mind and heart?