Sunday, March 29, 2009

Geek Alert

Well I woke up on this morning of March 29, 2009 to find that it was absolutely pouring down snow outside, I couldn't believe it. Gotta love springtime in Chicago. I had some friends visiting this weekend Bill & Melody Dickens with their son and good friend of mine Joseph Dickens, and they were supposed to attend church with me this morning, but they called very disappointed to say that they were going to go ahead and drive home as to avoid the snow getting worse. So I attended the early service at Park Community alone.

WARNING: Geek Alert!
Since I went alone I decided to sit behind the media/tech booth and kinda see how their system operates, and dang is it sophisticated. When the church built their new building they just decided to go top-of-the-line with everything, and this included the media department. They had a top-of-the-line sound board, light system, and video/projection system.

It took me a while to figure out but they had an iMac and a Macbook Pro running, and it looked like all they were using the iMac for was playing ambiance music before the service and then recording the service audio. Then they were using the Macbook Pro for what at first looked like projecting and controlling the words on the screen for worship but after watching for a while I realized that they were using that machine for the sole purpose of controlling the backgrounds and videos that were projected behind the words. It looked as though they were using a completely different machine for controlling the words, but this machine was nowhere to be seen in the tech booth. So I still have yet to figure that one out, but I found it very interesting.

So anyways, I write all that to say this, I realized today that there are alot of dreams that I have for my church back home and for the media dept. but most of these dreams have come from watching my church here in Chicago, and these two churches are very different in setting and context, so maybe all of these ideas shouldn't be implemented at my church in KY.

Secondly, I realized that to do implement some of these ideas cost a very large amount of money for hardware and software, and that is money that I know my church would not be willing or able to spend for their media dept.

So I came away from the service today having learned much from the sermon about personal standards for our lives, as well as learning much about the way my church in Chicago does media. It made me want to start serving there in the media dept. so bad, and I still might, but there are just so many other commitments in my life right now. I don't think I could do it.

Anyways, I know this post might not have been beneficial for some of my readers who aren't as geeky as I, but I hope that it was beneficial for those who are interested in this area of media in the church.

How does your church do media? Do they put a big emphasis on it or not?

1 comment:

Mark & Andrea said...

dude, what's keeping you from serving in your local church in the media dept.? I say, go for it. Why wait? Why not now? it's the church Jesus is using the change the world, so man, plug into it like crazy giving it all you got holding nothing back. don't wait til later. there might not be a later. sorry for the preachin'. ok, maybe i'm not, but you know me well enough to know this is said with love and passion and excitement for you. The church needs you! We need you bro!

i love u bro, miss you, am proud of you, and am sooo beyond excitement to see how God is going to use your media'ness' to broadcast Him to and through the web of global peoples.

love ya. stay in touch.

mark