Thursday, January 8, 2009

Macworld 2009 Day 1

My life these past couple days have been amazing, but busy. For those of you who do not know I have been at Macworld 2009 in San Francisco, which has been a dream come true for me ever since I switched to the Mac about 3 years ago. I got a PowerBook G4 in my Senior year of high school, and I have never looked back. I've been meaning to blog my experiences here at Macworld these past couple days, but I have been much busier than I expected, so I am a little disappointed by my procrastination/lack of time to give you my in depth thoughts and experiences. I have been updating my facebook status and twitter like literally at least 5 updates an hour, so I didn't spare anything with my updates there.

Since I'm already into Day 3 of Macworld and I'm just now blogging, I'm going to start with Day 1, and I might just start a new post with each day. We'll see how it goes, and how long my PowerBook's battery lasts sitting outside of the Expo hall.

Tuesday, Jan. 1, 2009:
Today was one of the peaks of my excitement this Christmas break. I have been staying at my friend's house, Savannah Flores for the past couple days which has been a blast. We went to the beach and just drove around California, and hung out with her family. It has been a great time. But today when I walked into the Moscone Center in San Francisco it was just an awesome feeling. I got registered and when they handed me that badge that said "Josh Burns, JSquared Productions, Covington, KY" I was about ready to explode with enthusiasm and excitement. I had to wait about an hour and a half after that to get into the expo hall but it was worth the wait because I immediately headed for the "Mac Learning Center" booth and got my seat for the recording of the Live episode of Macbreak Weekly. This is a podcast hosted by Leo Laporte, and is one of my favorites. It was so great to be able to see all of my favorite podcasters in person just feet away from me. So that was definitely a highlight.

Let me just go back to the first time walking into the expo hall. The gates opened, and as I was walking in I saw all of the booths and the feeling I got was so crazy. I guess the best way to describe is excited, but I don't even know if that captures my feelings. Ever since I switched to the mac and discovered Macworld I have wanted to go to Macworld, and now it was a reality. (Ok, so let me just stop here, and say that I realize that I may sound a little fanatical right now, but for those of you reading who are Mac fanboys as well, you can understand my fanaticism.)

I spent the whole first day in the North Hall of the Moscone Center, which was good, but when I went over to the South Hall I wish I would've spent more time there. But I at least walked past, if not visited every single booth in the North Hall and let me just say that there were some ridiculous products, and yet there were some really cool and innovative looking products. (I will go over these in a later post).

After a full day of visiting booths, talking to companies, and sitting in live podcasts and sessions, I made my way over to the restaurant, "Jillians" where there was a Macworld party going on. It was pretty cool, there was some free food, there were some football games on, and just lots of people to talk to. I stayed there for the giveaway and then jetted out of there because I had about an hour and fifteen minute drive ahead of me back home, and I was wiped.

So that was my first day at Macworld.

O BUT WAIT, I failed to mention my accidental meetup with one of the biggest podcasters in the world, Leo Laporte. So I was walking through the hall getting ready to leave at the end of the day and all of the sudden Leo Laporte just walked past me. I immediately recognized him but at first I was in shock. He walked past, and after I came to my senses I walked back towards him and yelled out, "Hey Leo, do you mind if I get a picture with you?" He kindly said "Yes" and and I told him that I enjoyed the live Macbreak weekly this morning and then I took the picture, I introduced myself and then I was so starstruck and at a loss for words that I just thanked him and just kinda turned away. After thinking about it later, I was so mad at myself that I didn't talk to him, cause I had so many questions for him. In fact I think he was expecting me to keep talking, but it all happened so fast that I was jut kinda caught off guard. But that was also a dream come true to get to meet him and get my picture taken with him. So that was also a HUGE highlight of week.

Well my battery warning just popped up so I'm gonna go.

More coming soon.

Macheads Unite!

No comments: