Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas to me

One thing I've realized over the past couple weeks is that I'm
beginning tontiink less and less about Christmas every year. As I was
studying for finals I realized, wow, Christmas is less than 10 days
away. I hadn't even been thinking about Christmas let alone done any
Christmas shopping. All I was worried about was passing my finals. But
even when I did begin to think about Christmas this has been the most
laid back I've been about getting my shopping. In fact as I'm writing
this it is Christmas eve and I still don't have gifts for everyone in
my immediate family. LOL. I don't know what it is but I think my
priorities have just shifted over the years and Christmas has just
become smaller in my mind. My priorities this year have been on
soccer, school, relationships and therefore I just think less about
holidays.

I think another thing that has contributed to the smallness of
Christmas in my mind has been that naturally the concept of gifts has
less significance because at this age I already know what I'm getting
before I get it. In fact I'm usually the one who buys it. I don't know
if I'm going to be surprised with anything this year, which is
completely fine with me. I'm just saying that I think thisbis another
thing that has contributed to what has happened.

Really I'm not too heartbroken by the fact that Christmas isn't a big
deal to me anymore. It Is just something that I've really noticed this
year in my own life. I've been thinking about whether this is right or
if there us something I need to change. I still haven't come to a
conclusion. It is just something interesting to think about.

Has anyone else felt like this recently? Or does anyone feel the
opposite? Does anyone feel like Christmas is a bigger deal to them
than ever?

Ho ho ho

1 comment:

Joseph said...

i agree.. Christmas is definitely less of a big deal in my mind too. I think a big part of it has to do with the gifts... i bought my own gift at school this year and brought it home to be wrapped. When I was younger I remember wanting to get up at the crack of dawn and open my presents... this year I woke up at about 1030 and wanted to sleep longer... but I had to get up because we we're supposed to be at my grandparents by noon. Now I look more forward to the time with family and the food. But those things come more than once a year so Christmas seems less of a big deal. I do miss the anticipation but I suppose this is just another stage in life. I might write more about this later on my blog.. but we'll see.