Monday, June 22, 2009

Some Blogging Tips

So I'm quickly realizing that my blogging for the summer may be more sparse than I had originally anticipated. My new job is consuming much of my time, but hopefully sparseness just means richer content.

That leads me to today's post.

This past weekend Josh Puckett and I attended Podcamp Ohio2 in Columbus, Ohio. So we dragged ourselves out of bed on Saturday morning and began our 2 hour trek up to Columbus, OH.

The day consisted of 6 sessions from 10AM-5PM. The sessions were focused mostly around podcasting and blogging. There were also some sessions on digital marketing, and of course almost all of these sessions involved twitter (what doesn't involve twitter these days).

Probably one of the biggest things I took away from the day was some helpful blogging tips.

1. "Content is King" - Keep your blog's content very rich and engaging. If you don't have good content then it doesn't matter how good the design is, or how much you market it, it is never going to take off.

2. To-the-point - Keep your posts succinct and to the point. This may depend on your audience, but under all circumstances you don't want to post a book each time. I struggle with this, sometimes I just find myself rambling on about unnecessary things.

3. Adapt to your audience - Use google analytics to discover what keywords are being hit the most and what days you get the most readers. Google analytics are invaluable to you as a blogger.

Those are the main things that I took away. I also went to a very good session with Gabe Taviano called "Digital Disciples". I will post more on this session later.

For now, take those tips and go blog.

Do you practice any of the tips that I mentioned?

1 comment:

Andre Rusch said...

Thanks Josh for sharing what you learned. I actually just blogged about "gleaning" (learning from other leaders), thanks. I "gleaned" from you today.