Thursday, October 15, 2009

Money & Business in Missions



The classroom session that I went to today was called
"Money & Business: The Challenge Ahead of Your Generation"
Here are my notes from that session.

Money and Business
Trends

The challenge for your generation
  • How to work in places that will not permit religious visas
  • How to integrate your background, training, and passion with your profession/business or platform
Implications
  • Fewer platforms for you to perform your passions
My thoughts:
I felt like the presenter knew alot of helpful information, but it could've been presented in a better way. He didn't really use his time wisely, and at the beginning of the session he showed a video (A Thousand Questions) which we had already seen two nights ago in the opening seminar. Don't get me wrong, I love the video, and I don't mind seeing it twice or more, but I feel like it wasn't necessary for that session. 

So with those thoughts aside, I thought it was helpful to get at least some information in using a platform on the mission field. And again we see this issue of the growth of Islam, which seems to be a overarching trend that is being highlighted throughout this year's Missions Conference. 

I think one of the biggest challenges he presented us with was the difficulty of entering countries that do not permit religious visas. The solution he gave was to use a platform to enter the country. Enter the country with a work visa and use that as your platform to do ministry. While it may not be formal ministry, a job can be the best form of ministry. 

What do you think about this method of entering closed countries with a work visa? 

No comments: